Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG)
In the new curriculum ‘Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation’ (SPAG) plays a very important role in the development of children’s English skills and as such at Cheam Fields Primary Academy we teach SPAG regularly across the week both in discrete sessions and within our English lessons to ensure in-depth coverage of the English curriculum.
The new National Curriculum provides a clear outline for the introduction and acquisition of knowledge about spelling, grammar and punctuation and as such we use this document as the foundation of the teaching and learning that takes place within our school. To support learning further we use an on-line programme called ‘Spelling and Grammar Bug’ which provides interesting learning clips to explore new grammar terms and also fun and interactive games which enable children to apply their learning.
How can I support my child at home?
- Encourage your child to try to ‘sound out’ words they are not sure how to spell.
- Help your child to look up the meaning of words in a dictionary.
- Encourage your child to learn any spellings that they have been set as part of their home learning.
- Do a simple crossword using a dictionary to support your child.
- Focus on different punctuation as you read with your child.
- Read sentences and try to identify the noun, verb and adjective.